The Folger Shakespeare brings you the complete works of the world’s greatest playwright, edited for modern readers. Whether you’re a Shakespeare lover, student, teacher, or scholar, the Folger Shakespeare is a trusted resource for Shakespeare’s plays and poems, and for information about his life and world.
Enjoyed by millions of people around the world in print, eBook, and online formats, these texts are edited by acclaimed Shakespeare scholars Barbara Mowat and Paul Werstine and published by Simon & Schuster. Behind the scenes, the texts have been encoded to make the plays easy to read, search, and index—and we plan to release additional features in the future.
On this site, which is the successor to the ground-breaking Folger Digital Texts, you can enjoy resources that further illuminate Shakespeare’s writings and invite you into his world. For example, you can learn about Shakespeare’s life, see images drawn from the Folger’s collection, or hear audio clips of play lines performed.
If you would like to see the definitions of words and phrases in Shakespeare’s works, they are available in our books (both print and eBook). To purchase a copy, go to any of the plays or poems and look for the “Buy” link at the bottom of any page.
The team behind the Folger Shakespeare:
- Barbara Mowat,❦ Editor, The Folger Shakespeare
- Paul Werstine, Editor, The Folger Shakespeare
- Sophie Byvik, Digital Projects Associate
- Jessica Frazier, Assistant Director for Publications
- Eric M. Johnson, Director of Digital Access
- Rebecca Niles, Digital Texts Editor and Interface Architect
- Michael Poston, Digital Texts Editor and Encoding Architect
- Stacey Redick, Digital Strategist
Additional thanks to:
- Michael Witmore, Director, Folger Shakespeare Library
- Peggy O’Brien, Director of Education, Folger Shakespeare Library
- Garland Scott, Head of External Relations, Folger Shakespeare Library
- Abbie Weinberg, Research and Reference Librarian, Folger Shakespeare Library
- Genevieve Kirk, Consultant
Thanks for past help:
- Matt Bogen, Head of Information Services, Folger Shakespeare Library (2014-18)
- Esther Ferington, Consultant
- Melody Fetske, Director of Finance and Administration, Folger Shakespeare Library (1994–2014)
- David Schalkwyk, Director of Research, Folger Shakespeare Library (2012-13)
- Tom Stanton, Head of Information Services, Folger Shakespeare Library (2012-14)
- Emily Tartanella, Consultant
- Robert Young, Director of Education, Folger Shakespeare Library (2006-13)
❦ Dr. Barbara Mowat, our friend and colleague, co-editor of the Folger Shakespeare Library Editions, former director of research at the Folger Shakespeare Library, former editor of Shakespeare Quarterly, and former chair of the Folger Institute, passed away on November 24, 2017. Her tireless work on the Folger Shakespeare Editions is just one of the many gifts that Barbara gave to the Folger, for which we will be forever grateful.